The Emergency Department/Trauma Center at the Hospital of Saint Raphael, located on Orchard Street Between Chapel and George Streets, is open 24 hours per day, seven days per week, to provide emergency care and treatment to those in need.
Renovated and expanded in 2000, our Emergency Department offers the most sophisticated care available and has many features for patient’s comfort and convenience. These include a comfortable waiting area with TV and Internet access.
Certified by the State of Connecticut as a level Two Trauma Center, signifying it has the equipment, staff and resources needed to provide high levels of sophisticated trauma care, the Saint Raphael Emergency Department is only one of 11 trauma centers in the state. We treat over 55,000 people each year, including patients with life-threatening injuries such as head and neck injuries, typically from motor vehicle accidents; spinal cord injuries; third-degree burns; and gunshot wounds.
The Emergency Department at the Hospital of Saint Raphael includes:
- Rapid assessments of patients with stroke symptoms as well as the latest in stroke care including clot-busting agents
- Rapid assessments of cardiac disease and trauma
- Expert treatment for patients of all ages, from children to older adults
- A “Fast Track” service, open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to treat minor injuries or illnesses
- Highly trained and skilled medical staff, including board-certified emergency physicians, surgeons and surgical sub-specialists committed to caring for traumatically injured patients
- Specially trained physician assistants, anesthesiologist and radiology technicians devoted to all aspects of trauma care
- An expertly trained nursing staff, all certified in advanced cardiac life support. Many are also trauma-nurse certified and/or are pediatric advanced life support certified as well as disaster and Hazmat management certified
- Access to mental health resources
- The most advanced technologies, including filmless xray technology that allows the radiologist and physician to view test results simultaneously and bedside ultrasound for trauma patients requiring quick assessments for major organ injuries
What is the “Fast Track” service?
The Hospital of Saint Raphael Emergency Department has developed a “Fast Track” service for patients with minor injuries or illnesses, as assessed by the triage nurse. Fast Track features:
- Shorter waiting time
- Faster through-put for minor emergencies
- Convenient bedside registration to reduce wait times
- Expert staff
Page last updated on Jul. 26, 2011