Oral and Maxillofacial – Clerkships
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clerkships (externships) are available for students currently enrolled in U.S. or Canadian dental schools who have completed at least the first semester of the third year. Externships are offered for a minimum of two weeks. Applicants should be in the top quarter of their dental school class and should have a score of 87 or better in the NBDE Part 1 examination.
House staff perform most services offered in Saint Raphael’s outpatient Oral and Maxillofacial Clinic – a spacious, state-of-the-art facility that sees a wide range of patients and is fully equipped to provide the full scope of OMS ambulatory surgery and anesthesia. Many patients come from poor, inner city neighborhoods and face multiple health issues. Saint Raphael’s Smiles to Go mobile dental clinic, which provides dental care to needy schoolchildren and others in the area, refers many patients to the clinic. Thus, Saint Raphael’s offers OMS residents a broad and thorough medical education.
The Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery offers a four-year residency program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. Externs will work together with the residents in providing a full range of outpatient and inpatient care.
Externs will work alongside the residents in both the outpatient and the inpatient settings at Saint Raphael and at the nearby affiliate, the Yale-New Haven Hospital. They will participate in the full range of didactic activities during the time of the externship, including Case presentations, Tumor Board and Journal Club, and will take on-call responsibilities with the residents, as appropriate.
Located on Long Island Sound between New York and Boston, Saint Raphael’s hometown of New Haven is a city that combines New England charm with cosmopolitan life; internationally known museums with international cuisine. This urban setting provides ample housing opportunities.
How to apply
To apply for the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clerkship:
- You must complete the clerkship application. You may submit it online by clicking here or via post.
- You must submit the following information via post:
- verification of malpractice insurance with 1 million/3 million limits;
- verification of Part 1 NBDE grades; and
- Verification of a physical and required immunization: Tuberculosis (PPD), Hepatitis B, Rubella, Measles and Varicella-Zoster. (Students should report history of chicken pox, shingles illness or a Varicella-Zoster antibody titer status.)
- Your medical school’s Dean or clerkship director must submit verification of your current standing. Click here to download and print out the mandatory Statement to Resident Education Program.
All completed applications are considered based upon need and availability at the time of their review.
For more information
If you have any questions, please contact:
John Kelly, D.M.D., M.D.
Chief, Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Hospital of Saint Raphael
1450 Chapel Street
Please submit all required forms and materials to:
Oral Residency Coordinator
Department of Surgery
Hospital of Saint Raphael 1450 Chapel Street
New Haven, CT 06511
For more information:
Telephone: (203) 789-3503
Fax: (203) 867-5248
Page last updated on Feb. 02, 2010